Carter Cemetery near Detroit, Alabama lies on a hill to the right of Highway 17 if you are traveling north. The cemetery is visible from the highway. According to Mr. Lyndon Tooke, who lives nearby, the cemetery was originally a cemetery for the James A. and Sarah Love Davidson family. James A. Davidson was a large landowner, owning land in Marion County ( now Lamar County) and Mississippi. He lived in the Millville or Detroit area.
One of the Davidson’s sons, William Wilson Davidson, married Mary Elizabeth Riggan, daughter of Jeremiah and Elizabeth Nicholas Egerton of Splunge, Mississippi. Following in the footsteps of his father, James A. Davidson, William W. Davidson was a merchant and postmaster at Millville.
William W. Davidson died 27 December, 1860 at age 41. He was buried in the family cemetery, where his parents and a child, were already buried. His mother Sarah Love Davidson, died 12 July, 1852 and his father, James A. Davidson died 17 June 1856. Also a child, George Willis Davidson, born 7 November, 1850, died 26 August 1852 . After the death of Mr. Davidson, Widow Davidson married Rev. Jesse Dexter Carter. According to Mr. Tooke, in later years, after acquiring the property, Rev. Carter donated one acre for burial plots and it was named Carter Cemetery in appreciation of his gift of land. Source of information, Mr. Lyndon Tooke interview, Davidson Family article in the Heritage of Lamar County, Alabama written by Walt Holliman.